Friday, January 30, 2009

The Basics

Today's Reading: Acts 6

Scripture:
But they were unable to cope with the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking." Acts 6:10

Observation:
When the Spirit moves and God begins to stir a work, things get busy in a hurry. The early church was literally exploding. Needs were coming at the disciples more quickly than they could handle.

In the midst of busy times it is very easy to become caught up in dealing with all that is coming at you and fall down on Spiritually. Stephen managed to stay grounded enough to live out the Word.

Application:
I look at this passage and I am reminded that the fruit of a life well lived produces a wisdom, Spirit and faith that can not be broken. There are three really good reminders here on the basics of how to do it.

First, I have to stay in the Word and not neglect it. There are many things that rise up and fight for my time, but above all I have to stay in God's Word Daily. Each morning I need to wrestle with the scriptures and apply them to my life.

Second, I have to devote myself to prayer and ministry. Looking up to God in prayer seeking His direction and then looking out the world around me to find where He is working are the calls I must pursue. It is so easy to get out of sync with these two.

Third, I must be full of Spirit and Faith. Deception is an easy thing to fall into. The religious counsel as depicted in this passage did not think they were doing wicked things. In fact, they honestly thought they were serving God. Instead of Spirit and Faith; they were full of pride and self-interest. The same can happen with me. I must daily keep myself in check.

Prayer:
When I read a verse like this it is easy to start praying for the fruit I see in it. I have prayed for You to strengthen my faith and fill me with Your spirit many times. This morning I am grateful for You reminding me of the work I need to do on my end. Keep Your Word active to me. I pray that when I seek Your face in the in mornings that you give me wisdom to see how to apply Your word to my life. I ask that you teach me to pray prayers that are not self centered but rather focus on the needs of others. Finally I pray that You protect me from deception. I do not want to be filled with anything other than Your Spirit and Truth.

No comments: