Friday, January 9, 2009

Hollow Results and Empty Success

Today's Reading: Genesis 24:12; 26-27 & Luke 9:37-62

Scripture:
"He said, 'O LORD, the God of my master Abraham, please grant me success today, and show lovingkindness to my master Abraham.'" Genesis 24:12

Observation:
People pay attention. Abraham's servant observed what went on in Abraham's life and how he handled himself. In doing this, he obviously learned that the secret to Abraham's success was in his relationship with God.

Application:
Every moment of every day represents an opportunity for me to lead. Somebody, somewhere is always watching. My kids, my neighbors, my co-workers, my family, and my friends all observe how I am living my life out. What do they see? What would they say is the secret of my success?

Prayer:
I used to say that I can do nothing without You. There was a point in my life where I really believed that and then there was a point in my life when I just thought that was the Christian thing to say.

As I sit here this morning, I fully realize that I can do many things without You. I look back over my past and I see tons of things that I did without You. In all honesty, I did some really good things without You and even achieved some good results without You.

That is the thing that scares me. It is so easy to fool myself into thinking that You are with me and I am doing things with Your power, only to realize that I'm totally working towards my own end. Discerning the difference between walking in Your power and my own is something I can't do. I can't separate the two. My flesh is just to deceptive.

My prayer this morning is that You teach me to walk with You as Abraham did. I ask that my life be lived out in a manner that others will look on and , just as Abraham's servant did, see that running to You is the best choice from them to pursue.

All the things I have accomplished outside of Your will produced only hollow results and empty success. They failed to satisfy me and were gone as quickly as they came. I look at the fool I was and realize just how easy it would be to return to that same form.

Please guide me today. I ask that every choice, every moment, every action and every word that comes from my mouth today be given to You as service and worship. Save me from the me I can be and guide me to be a me that looks like Your Son.

No comments: