Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jacob's Fear

Today's Reading: Genesis 33 & Luke 13:10-30.

Scripture:
"Then Jacob lifted his eyes and looked and behold, Esau was coming, and four hundred men with him." Genesis 33:1

Observation:
If Jacob could have had it his way, I am sure that he would have avoided his brother Esau all together. The promise and commands of God, however, carried Jacob straight into the face of the very thing that he feared most. He feared greatly what Esau would do when they saw each other. How he handled himself during this time would prove crucial.

Application:
God's commands seldom make sense to me. There are many times that I do not really pray according to his will. I say that I do, but reality is I want things to happen in a certain way. This is especially true when it comes to things that cause me fear or concern. I pray them away. That is the only outcome that I desire. But the plans of God often carry me straight into the teeth of the very storm I wish to escape. There are a few things that I feel I can learn from Jacob in this passage.

First, Jacob had a promise from God on which to stand. I think many times it is hard for me to find confidence to stand firm simply because I have skirted the process of seeking God. Instead of wrestling with Him and finding His plan for my life, I move forward with things hoping that they are right. Jacob new where God was calling him to go and was walking in obedience. I must learn to seek God in that way on the frontend of a situation and then stick with Him as things heat up.

Second, Jacob trusted in God but he still made prudent choices. Jacob sent Esau gifts and when he saw Esau and his men approaching, he took actions that would help protect his family. The same is true of me. God promises the end result, but getting there requires me to take action. Being smart and being careful does not negate God's will nor does it reveal doubt on my part. It is just the wise thing to do.

Third, Jacob got out in front and led. That is the hardest part of being a leader. When things get at their worst, I have to stay out in front and lead well. It does not matter the situation; my family, my friends and my staff must know that I am willing to walk in front of them in the face of hard times.

Finally, Jacob stayed calm and relied on God. Jacob prepared for the worst, but held out hope for the best. It would have been easy for Jacob to over react and attack his brother and fight to protect what was his. Instead, he realized that all he had was God's and it was God's to protect. As I sit here this morning and reflect over my life, I regret how much time I have lost at the vicious hands of over reacting. I must learn to stay calm trust God to lead me through.

Prayer:
Father, there is no escaping the fact that life is hard. There are so many things that happen and they the pace at which they come at me can be overwhelming. There have been many moments in my life where I have lifted up my eyes to see something I dread coming down on me.

I ask this morning for Your help. Teach me to seek Your will and in everything I do move forward with Your clear direction. It is much easier to take on a trial when I know that I am following your guidance.

I ask that you provide me with the wisdom I need to know how to make prudent choices that protect me and position me for success, but also do not negate my trust and faith in You.

Finally I ask that as I live my life out those around me will see me lead in a way that is worthy of Your calling of my life. I pray that the actions I take will result in people's faith in You being strengthened.

Father, I am grateful for the life that You have given to me. You have been gracious to me beyond what I could ever ask. You owe me nothing, yet give me everything. My desire to be with You grows stronger each day. My only ambition for today is that by its end I find myself closer to You than I am this morning.

No comments: