Monday, January 26, 2009

The Coward Within

Today's Reading: Exodus 14

Scripture:
"As Pharaoh drew near, the sons of Israel looked, and behold, the Egyptians were marching after them, and they became very frightened." Exodus 14:10

Observation:
They had to think that they had won. Given all they had come through and all they had observed, they would have been feeling good.

Then, they heard a roar coming from behind them. Their eyes would have scanned the horizon to see 600 chariots chasing after them. In a split second elation was over taken by fearful dread. In a mere moment, everything they thought was put behind them all came running back.

Application:
It is easy to sit in judgment of the Israelites. What were they thinking? After all that God had done for them they still chose to fear the Egyptians; how pathetic.

No sooner than I have that thought I feel the weight of conviction coming over me as I hear the voice of God saying to me, "You are no better." God continues in his conversation by saying, "Actually, you freak-out at much less than 600 chariots."

That is true. There is no way to deny it. Regardless of what God has done in my life there are moments when things I thought I had overcome come roaring back at me. I dig myself out of a financial mess only to have unexpected expenses pop up and knock me down. I work through issues in my marriage only to see the same of junk pop up again. I overcome issues at work only to see the problems come back in worse shape. I resist the urge to sin only to see an army of temptation come roaring back.


Such is life. Struggles return to me just like the villain in a bad horror movie always returns to fight one last battle. In those moments, I behave just like the Israelites did. I cry out to God in frustration and complain. I look at the problem and become overwhelmed. In a moment of frustration, anger and fear; I take all that God has been to me and literally through it out the door.

Prayer:
There is a coward inside of me who just refuses to die. He pops up in the worst of times and reminds me of just how bad things are going to be. His nagging voice deafens me from hearing Your voice and blinds me from remembering my past.

Satan fills this coward hiding in my flesh will lies and deceptions. These tactics of his are tried and true. He has been perfecting his methods since the fall in the garden and You know better than I do just how good he is at flinging his darts of doubt, fear, and panic.

I sit still before You this morning and ask that You fight on my behalf. Father I am powerless against my enemies. You are my only hope. I pray this morning that Your presence move between me and the unholy things that pursue me. Open my eyes to see my taunting tormentors through the power of Your presence. Silence the coward inside of me by speaking to me Your word of promise for my life.

No comments: