Monday, January 12, 2009

Why Worry

Today's reading: Genesis 30:22-24 & Luke 12: 1-12; 22-48

Scripture:
"If then you cannot even do a very little thing, why do you worry about other matters." Luke 12:26.

Observation:
Worry is literally like a fire set in dry forest. It erupts into flames and destroys anything in its path. Its destruction spreads with an increasing velocity that cannot be slowed.

Application:
This morning as I sit with the counsel of this verse, I am not so much thinking about the normal aspects of worry such as money, family, health, etc. My mind is bent towards things concerning my mind, my heart, and my actions. I worry about these things greatly.

In Luke 12:35, Jesus issues a command to be dressed in readiness. That is where my worry comes into play. The condition of my mind, heart and actions are the very things that work against my readiness. I worry over the thoughts I have in my mind. I worry over the things I desire with my heart. I worry over the actions I take. I worry about the consequences of these and become quite anxious when they do not change at my preferred pace.

This morning, I am coming to realize something about myself. In Luke 12:31 Jesus says, "But seek His kingdom...". That is my problem. The reason I worry so much is that I want MY kingdom to be set. God calls me to seek His first. Then, He promises to take care of mine.

Prayer:
It would be very easy for me to become frustrated this morning. Your Word contains so many commands and so many invitations to follow after You in obedience. At the same time, it contains just as many warnings regarding the fact that I can't do this. Often this leaves me in a tormented state of feeling like I need to do something, but can't do anything.

I release to You today my mind, my heart and my actions. Teach me to be ready, to live alert and to not be tied down. I want to seek Your will and walk this earth as a man in crazy pursuit of Your kingdom; not my own.

There is not one single thing I can do to make these things happen other than to surrender to You and admit my absolute dependence upon You. I am at Your mercy today. Guide me down the path which leads to Your Holiness and guard me from the path which leads to my own destruction.

No comments: