Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Lessons in Forgivness

Today's Reading: Genesis 50, Psalm 8, & Luke 20: 9-19.

Scripture:
"Joseph said to his brothers, 'I am about to die, but God will surely take care of you.'" Genesis 50:24

Observation:
Joseph's life was a model of forgiveness. The story of his life offers many lessons on giving and receiving forgiveness. I see three Genesis 50.

Application:
The first lesson I see in this text is Joseph refused to give man authority over his life. When I chose to be angry at another person over what they did to me, I am giving them authority in my life. I am saying to them that they have the ability to rise above God's will for my life and inflict unintended harm on me. If I am truly a man walking after God and my life is surrendered to Him, who is man that he can do anything to me outside of God's will? Several times I see the words of Joseph confessing that all in His life was directed by God. That is the truth Joseph walked in and the same truth I must learn to accept. Regardless of man's intentions and actions, God is the only person who has authority in my life.

The second lesson I see in this text is his brothers unwillingness to accept forgiveness. As soon as Israel died, the brothers began devising a scheme to protect themselves. They never got over what they did and lived in fear of consequences. I do the same thing. I am a fool. My past has proven that I am fully capable of doing some hateful and harmful things to other people. Though those actions have been forgiven, I still carry the burden of many of them. I must learn to let go of my mistakes , stop looking over my shoulder and accept the forgiveness of both man and God.

The final lesson I see in this text is that bitterness would have resulted in Joseph dying alone Egypt. No one could have blamed Joseph for holding a grudge against his brothers. A little vengeance would have been easily justified. Be that as it may, it would have cost Joseph and his family everything. This lesson is tough for me. There is something therapeutic about seeing someone who has wronged me get what's coming to them. There is something inside of me that wants to make sure they get punished. Bitterness comes into my heart and it makes letting things go difficult. I must learn come to understand that bitterness robs me as much as it robs others. God's call on my life is to let things go and leave the process of restitution to Him.

Prayer:
The core of the lessons You have revealed to me this morning all point to the fact that I need to better understand Your authority over man. You alone have the ability to affect my life. You have forgiven me much and command that I do the same. I am not God and anytime I chose to feel wronged, hold onto hurt, or desire vengeance in my heart I chose to take some of Your authority for myself.

I ask that You forgive my pride. Who am I that You should even be mindful of me? Yet, You have given me so much. Your name is truly majestic above all things. I pray that whatever passes through my life today only strengthen my understanding of Your greatness. I chose this day to believe that everything in my life enters through the filter of Your hand. Help me to discern Your desire in each instance.

No comments: