Friday, February 27, 2009

Limitations of the Heart

Today's Reading: Mark 6

Scripture:
"For they had not gained any insight from the incident of the loaves, but their hear was hardened." Mark 6:52

Observation:
The word used in this text indicates that they held onto rebellious thoughts. These thoughts dulled their hearts and made it impossible for them to receive the truth. Their ability to fully experience the presence of Christ was limited by the dullness of their heart.

Application:
I, just as the disciples, often experience seasons where I am with God, sense His presence and yet do not get it. I seek answers but they do not come. I have experiences but my heart does feel them. I go through the motions but life change does not follow. In those seasons it is easy to feel like I need something from God but the reality is that God needs something from me; my heart.

Prayer:
Father I get so confused at times that I literally do not know which way is up. Over the past few weeks I have asked for You to be more tangible and real to me than You ever have been before. I thought the way that would happen would involve You doing things for me that would prove beyond any doubt Your power. In my own mind this would mean that every morning You would pour out on me fresh ideas, energy and favor as my life became filled with miracles, signs and wonders.

As I look at this text I realize what I fool I have been. No matter what happens externally it can never exceed the capacity of what my heart can comprehend. The comprehension of my heart is limited only by the rebellious nature of my thoughts and actions. I expected You to work outside of me and have been blinded the correction You desired to bring to my attitudes, thoughts, and actions.

Who knows the desires of my heart other than You? Who know the motivation of my actions other than You? Who knows where I am and what my struggles are other than You? I pray this morning that You reveal to me the truth of my heart for I desire for it to be sharp. Let me see my sin and find the freedom from it You provided with the cross of Christ.

No comments: