Friday, February 6, 2009

Specific Terms

Today's Reading: Exodus 40, Psalm 15, & Acts 12

Scripture:
"…But prayer for him was being made fervently by the church to God." Acts 12:5

Observation:
Today's reading covered three very different passages. As I look at these passages I see 4 very different presences of God. In Exodus I see the Guiding presence of God. In Psalms I see the peacemaking presence of God. In Acts I see the delivering presence of God and the multiplying presence of God.

When praying to God, such as the people in this verse were praying, it is good to think about God in specific terms, not general ones.

Application:
I am bad about general prayers. As I read these passages this morning I realize that this is because I have a general view of God. I do not think of God in specifics when I pray. I have heard of people praying the names of God but that has really never made sense to me. I have read passages in the Bible where God introduced Himself to people using one of His names, but I really never appreciated why He did that.

This morning I realize that when I approach God I need to do so realizing that He has a specific presence that He is able to give to my need. When I feel lost, He is the guiding presence I need. When I struggle to find peace, He is the peacemaking presence I need. When I am bound, He is the delivering presence I need. When I am stuck and not growing, He is the multiplying presence I need.

Prayer:
I want to know Your guiding presence. There are so many times I move forward in uncertainty. Teach me to sense and see Your guiding presence moving before me. Show me how to be attuned to where Your presence is in my life and give me the strength and courage to align myself with It.

My peace is tied to how well I live life with others. Psalm 15 lays out an amazing picture of how that looks. I pray that I come to know Your peacemaking presence in manner that produces a life that will never be shaken.

Life is tough. There are many things laid out before me designed to trap me. Often, I find myself bound to things from which I can't find freedom. I pray that I come to know Your delivering presence. Just as You came to Peter in His literal prison, I pray that You come visit me in the mental prisons created by my sin and weaknesses.

Multiplying Your word must take place on two fronts. First it must be multiplied in my life. Then, it must be spread to the lives of those around me. I pray that I come to know Your multiplying presence. No matter what happened in the lives of the early church, You kept multiplying Your Word in their lives and in the lives of those around them. I pray that it be the same with me.

It never ceases to amaze me just how little I know about You. Each day is like a new day of discovery. This morning I discovered something about You that I knew, but never really experienced. You truly are everything I need. In specific times of need, You offer specific traits to fill that need. I pray that You teach me to relate to You in specific terms.

No comments: