Monday, February 16, 2009

Mindless Debates

Today's Reading: Leviticus 27:30 & Acts 23

Scripture:
"I am on trial for the hope and resurrection of the dead." Acts 23:6

Observation:
This whole passage of scripture is very troubling to me. So many divisions over so many points of scripture. I wonder at times just how many souls have been lost to hell over the mindless debating of theology? Following this statement from Paul, another debate started and they begin fighting against themselves over addition points of theology. Uselessness.

Application:
I must guard myself against forming hard-lined, theological beliefs. I must know what I believe, but outside the essentials of One God in three persons, justification by Grace, and the character of God there is very little worth creating a division over.

People are apt to argue over anything, but Christ did not see this as necessary. He said that pure religion was loving the unlovable and taking care of those who can’t take care of themselves. To love God with all my heart means that I pursue things that lead to His character, heart, and will.

Why create division over so many of the things that we create division over? I honestly do not understand it. It drives me crazy the number of things people will argue over. That is my theology at this point. Christ died to redeem the lost and God has a broken heart for the lost and needy in all societies in all the worlds. That is my pursuit and my theology. I pray that it sinks into my soul and transforms the man that I am.

Prayer:
At times I hate being a part of organized religion. I honestly do. Part of me would just like to walk away from it all and pursue a different path. Trying to pull people away from the petty and useless and focus them on the pure and profitable is as taxing an endeavor as I could imagine. But I submit to the task you have called me to.

I pray for the wisdom to respond appropriately to the theological debates of my time. Please protect me from division and dissention. Train me in how to guide discussions that reflect Your heart. I desire more than anything to see the men of my people get Your heart, understand Your ways, and abandon their lifestyles to pursue You.

We are the poorest state in the Union. There is no better place to start than here. Lead us to repent to you and then prove the greatness of Your will to this nation. I submit to follow You where You lead and serve as You call me. Continue to grow me in wisdom, knowledge, and spirit. Keep me Holy and protect the mission that you have for my life. I love You. I am committed to serve You to the end. My flesh fights against me daily, but by Your strength I will endure.

No comments: