Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Submission

Today's Reading: Numbers 14

Scripture:
"Then all the congregation lifted up their voices and cried, and the people wept all night." Numbers 14:1

Observation:
This passage begins with a very simple word, then. As simple as it is, it is a word that carries an enormous amount of weight because it represents what a person does next.

In the context of this passage the people are deciding on which report they are going to accept. The are deciding on whether or not they will submit to God and His ordained leadership or give way to the weight of the task and the nay sayers who are attacking it. In the end they chose poorly.

Application:
Romans 13:1 teaches me that every leader given some type of authority in my life is given that authority by God, therefore; anytime I refuse to be in submission I am rebelling against God.

Living according to this teaching has never been an easy thing and it seems to get tougher each day. I do not think that this verse indicates that all actions taken by leaders are inspired by God. Leaders clearly make evil choices. Since God is not capable of evil that means there is no way He can inspire evil choices. But it does mean that I am bound to submit to the leaders in my life as long as they are not calling me to directly violate the word of God.

Sometimes that is easier said than done. Submission is an issue for me. I am a bit of a rebel. I do not like to be controlled. I want things the way I want them to be and as long a my leadership agrees with me I am happy to comply, but as soon as we disagree the battle within me starts. I also like to be comfortable. Leaders also often cause me to take more risks than I would take if left to my own.

I need to bind myself to the leaders in my life and then commit myself to praying strong prayers for God to direct their heart. If I allow myself an out, I will take it. If insubordination of leaders in my life is an option for me then my prayers for my leaders begin to lose their sense of urgency. God gives me leaders to stretch me and move me in a certain direction. I am called to follow.

Prayer:
It is tempting to spend more time grumbling against the leaders in my life than it is to spend time praying over them. Father I confess that to You this morning. Teach me to be a better follower. Teach me to pray for those to who authority over my life has been granted. My president, my government officials, my senior leaders at work, my father, and the elders of my church all represent the leadership structure in my life. Help me to serve them in a way that brings honor to Your name.

As important as all these earthly leaders are I am also reminded this morning that You are the ultimate authority in my life and I struggle daily to stay in submission to Your leading in my life. I pray today that You allow me to sense Your tangible, manifest presence in my life. Help me to hear Your voice with clarity. I pray that the actions following the "then's" in the story of my life be actions that create a testimony of Your glory.

No comments: