Saturday, February 7, 2009

Stories to Share

Today's Reading: Leviticus 5 & Acts 14

Scripture:
"When they had arrived and gathered the church together, they began to report all the things that God had done with them and how He had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles." Acts 14:27

Observation:
Religion is boring. It is lifeless. There is very little in it that is appealing. When Christianity is reduced to Sunday service, it really stinks.

Following Christ on the other hand is an adventure. It is full of life. When people come together and seek the will of God in their daily lives and commit themselves to seeking the advancement of His kingdom, amazing things happen. Stories are written and lives are altered.

Application:
What would I say? That is the question burning in my mind this morning. If I were standing before an assembly and asked to tell of story of how God had worked through my life this past week, would I have something to offer?

That is the challenge before me. I need to live each day in anticipation of God doing something through me. I need to guard my heart each day from getting comfortable with simple minded religious activities and instead seek to encounter God and witness Him doing something amazing.

Prayer:
Father it is so easy to settle. To fake it. To just go through the motions. I can read my Bible, I can pray to You, I can go to church, and I can lead spiritual activities without ever really coming into contact with You. I pray that You enter into the times I spend with You and really impact my heart, mind, and soul. Please give me a hunger that drives me past religious thinking and truly opens my life to encounter You.

Life is rhythmic and the rhythm of it is comforting. I get dialed into the routine of my day and it is hard to break out. Many aspects of my life are so normal that I can do them without any real thought. I don't need You for them so I consequently don’t seek You in them. I pray that You enter the routine of my life and teach me to seek You in the monotony of my day.

Finding You often involves seeking risks. That is the hardest part of all. As I look at the lives of the apostles I realize they had stories because they risked everything in pursuit of You. They placed themselves in situations where their only hope was You. I ask that You move upon my life in a manner that allows me to hold on loosely to the things that bring me comfort and to be willing to let it all go as I sense Your movement around me.

No comments: