Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Simplest of Forms

Today's Reading: Numbers 27:12-13 & 1 Corinthians 13

Scripture:
"But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

Observation:
The Christian life can get quite complicated. Traditions, rituals, interpretations and differences in opinions related to these things have come together to create a tangled web of confusion and division.

In its most simple of forms, however, Christianity can be boiled down to these three things: faith, hope and love. As I journey back home to God, it is these three things that get me there.

The same is true of automobiles. Cars can become quite elaborate and get very complicated. But in their simplest of forms cars are made up of the body (engine, interior and exterior), the fuel, and the lubricants.

In the same way, the Christian life is represented by faith, hope and love. They represent the body of the car, the fuel that gives life to the car and the lubrication that keeps it all working together.

Application:
Faith is what connects me to God. It is accepting the testimony of the scriptures as being the Word of God. It is believing that Jesus is the Son of God and that I am reconciled to God through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Faith makes up all the mechanical workings of my relationship with God just as the body of a car encompasses all the mechanical parts of a car.

Hope is firm assurance of things yet still unseen. It is hope that allows me to take hold of the future. This is not something I have to aspire to as in hoping FOR something, it is something that I have. It is the fuel of life. Without hope my life cannot run just as a car cannot run without fuel. A Christian void of hope is as useless as a car without gas.

Love is nearly impossible for me to define in a sentence. It is to life what oil and lubricates are to cars. I can have the best car in the world but without the proper lubricates it will always break down. My life depends on love much in the same way.

Prayer:
Father this morning I am confronted by the reality that I am running short on hope and love. My faith, though still under development, is firm. I know where I am heading and I accept the gift of salvation You offered me in Christ. There are seasons I doubt it but I in my heart of hearts I know that I am good with you.

Love and hope, on the other hand, are daily struggles for me. I find myself wrestling hard with anger and despair. My temper explodes at the drop of a hat and I am losing heart with some areas of my life. I feel needy and I hate that sensation. My life is running dry and I need to be fueled and oiled.

Please speak to me and guide my steps. Teach me to live the life to which You have called me in the spirit and truth of Your will and ways. Open my soul to receive the things You desire for me to have. In my season of need teach me to find all my fulfillment in You alone.

No comments: