Monday, March 2, 2009

My Son Bryce

Today's Reading: Numbers 30 & Mark 9:14-17

Scripture:
"And one of the crowd answered Him, 'Teacher, I brought You my son, possessed with a spirit which makes Him mute.'" Mark 9:17

Observation:
This boy's parents had been through it all. Their son was afflicted by a an evil spirit which was determined to destroy him. They brought the boy to Jesus, but Jesus was not there. He had gone up the mountain with Peter, James and John. The other 9 disciples attempted to cast the demon from the boy but were having no success.

Application:
The timing of this passage to me is amazing. In December we took Bryce in for some tests. One of the tests they did was a sleeping eeg and we were told that the eeg showed some activity and they wanted us to see a neurologist.

On Friday we went in for a follow up visit. They want to put him in the hospital on Monday and Monday night to do another eeg and to video him while they are doing it. The first eeg showed significant seizure activity and they want to pin-point what is going on before they talk to us about treatment. Unless something changes (such as God intervening) we will have to put him on seizure medication.

I have too much going on Monday to be out so Brandy is taking the day shift. I will be with them on Monday night and most of Tuesday. If they are not satisfied with the tests we may have to stay again on Tuesday night. They told us there was enough activity on the eeg that they were shocked we had never observed him having a seizure while he was awake. They also said most of his hyperactivity could be attributed to the night time seizing. His brain never rests and so he is always sleep deprived.

There is nothing life threatening with this, but we have to make some significant decisions about his treatment. I hate putting my son on seizure medicines. From what I understand they have to experiment with them to see what the side effects are and that is a process I am not very excited about.

As a parent and a believer, this situation creates confusion inside of me.

Prayer:
Father, I am not afraid. You are my peace, my joy, my hope and my rock. I have long since given to You my children and trust them in Your hands. With each of them I truly feel that I have received promises from You regarding their lives. With Bryce I know the things that You have said to me about him and in moments like these I cling to those words alone as my strength. I trust Your plan. I trust Your will. I know Your heart for my son. I just don't always get Your methods.

My struggle today is confusion over what should I do. When the medical world and the spiritual world collide, I am left wondering and I honestly do not know how to pray so I am just going to give You my heart this morning.

I pray for You to move upon the health of my son and make Him whole. Be glorified in this situation. You alone are my healer. I bring my son to You this day and ask that You heal Him. I believe that if You are willing, You can heal Him without using doctors. I also realize that You inspired man with the ingenuity needed to create the medical world and often use this to bring healing. Either way You chose to move, please move. I ask that You be glorified in the life of my son.

I also ask that You heal the things inside of Brandy and me that medicine can't heal. Take away our anxiety, our fears, our doubts and our concerns. Help us walk through this in a manner that reveals Your glory to those around us and in a manner that will prove our faith and make it stronger.

No comments: