Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Leader's Burden

Today's Reading: Deuteronomy 1 & Mark 12

Scripture:
"The LORD our God spoke to us at Horeb, saying, 'You have stayed long enough at this mountain. Turn and set your journey.'" Deuteronomy 1:6

Observation:
40 years in the wilderness. 40 years of wondering around aimlessly. 40 years of disappointment. 40 years of punishment. 40 years of torment. 40 years of living in regret of past actions. 40 years of living as vagabonds. 40 years, not wondering where they should be going, but 40 years of seeing the land that was theirs and all the while knowing they could not get to it.

That is the power of this verse. After 40 years God releases them and gives them another shot at obedience.

Application:
The modern church does not like to think of God in terms of being a God who punishes His children but the scriptures do.
God loves us and what father does not apply consequences to poor choices out of love for his kids? What leader does not apply consequences to poor choices made by his employees? To not do this produces worthless kids and causes entities to fail.

I have to learn that God will not reward my poor choices and more than likely will allow me to experience some adverse circumstances. He does this in hopes of training me to make better decisions. In the midst of these times it is important that I hold onto my hope. The day will come when God will release me to move forward.

Prayer:
Life moves so fast. There are days that I come home and I simply can't remember where I went, who I met and what I said. The pace at which I am called to make decisions is incredible. No generation of people on earth has ever been faced with so much information and so many choices.

In the position of leadership You have given me every choice I make affects hundreds or thousands of people. The relentless pace, the never ending supply of decisions, and the constant opportunities to make judgments pile up on top of me and can at times feel oppressing. Knowing that choices have consequences is the primary burden of a leader.

My fear is that I lose my connection with You and make bad choices. The thought of leading thousands down a path that is not Holy causes my stomach to churn and the brow of my head to bead in sweat. I can live with my own consequences, but I do not want others to suffer from my poor choices.

Please do not let me ever take for granted the enormity of the call You have on my life. I must walk in Your counsel. I must hear Your wisdom. I ask for Your voice to be clear before me.

When I do fail, I ask that I weather the storm with dignity and grace and lean on Your presence to guide me through. I ask for Your favor and grace to go before me. Keep my emotions in check and my head screwed on straight. Let me know when it is time to get up and try again.

No comments: