Friday, March 13, 2009

Battles to Face

Today's Reading: Deuteronomy 23:8-25 & Galatians 4

Scripture:
"When you go out as an army against your enemies, you shall keep yourself from every evil thing." Deuteronomy 23:9

Observation:
The text says WHEN you go out to war, not IF. The "you" refers not to an individual, but to the group for we are not intended to fight alone. The back half of this text contains a warning; the weariness of battle makes us vulnerable to sin.

Application:
There are mornings that I need to be reminded of the simple rules of life. Today's reminders are centered around the battles I have to face.

This is a fallen world and Jesus himself promised that in this life we will face plenty of battles. There is a nagging voice in my head that always wonders if life has to be so tough. I hear it anytime I face a struggle and have learned that this temptation to run or escape reality is far worse than the battle itself.

Fighting alone is a constant struggle. It is hard to open up to someone and let them know what is going on with me. I often feel like I got myself into something, I will get myself out. There are other times that I am genuinely ashamed of what I face. There are also times when I am so lost, so overwhelmed, and so confused that I literally do not know how to explain it or ask for help. Regardless of my feelings the body of Christ is the family of God and healthy families face things together.

Staying pure during times of battle is a daunting task. Battles make me weary. They suck the life out of me and leave me feeling empty. In the midst of this emptiness satan never fails to offer me some sinful temptation that promises to fill me back up. It amazes me just how often his traps lead me right back to old behaviors I thought I had left behind.

Prayer:
Father there is so much going on in my life right now. I am stretched beyond what I thought would be my breaking point. I am grateful for Your word this morning. Thank You for speaking to me and reminding me that You know where I am and have not forgotten.

Keep me sober-minded today. Help me engage in the battles I face with honor, dignity, and purity. Help me swallow my pride and ask for help. Separate me from the worldly things that chase me down and offer their assistance.

In all these things I pray that Your hand of favor rest upon my life. Keep me grounded in the promises of Your word and allow me to learn to marvel at Your ability to deliver me. Instead of dreading the odds I face, I pray that I be filled with joyful anticipation of Your promise to bring me through.

No comments: