Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Little Lost

Today's Reading: Deuteronomy 26 & Galatians 5

Scripture:
"But I say walk in the Spirit and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh." Galatians 5:16

Observation:
Live under the influences of the Holy Spirit; admit those influences fully into your hearts. Do not resist him, but yield to all his suggestions. What the Holy Spirit would produce, Paul states in Gal 5:22-23. If a man would yield his heart to those influences, he would be able to overcome all his carnal propensities; and it is because he resists that Spirit, that he is ever overcome by the corrupt passions of his nature. Never was a better, a safer, or a more easy rule given to overcome our corrupt and sensual desires than that here furnished;
(from Barnes' Notes, Electronic Database Copyright © 1997, 2003 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Application:
I copied the above paragraph from a commentary I saw this morning. I keep laughing (cynically) every time I read it. The commentary makes it sound dang so simple. I guess in theory it is that simple but the application of it is ridiculously hard.

Prayer:
Father, I am a little frustrated this morning. I am genuinely a little lost. I know that You are burdening my heart for this verse but I can't for the life of me figure out what You are asking me to do. I could sit and pretend that this makes sense to me, but that would mean at best I would have a fake understanding of You.

I want to know You. I want to walk in real truth. Open up my heart to understand this passage and how it applies to my life. Teach me. In every moment of every day make clear to me the choices I make. Help me to be aware of battle between the Spirit and my flesh so that I may make a conscious choice between the two.

Your Word to me is that You will never ask anything of me beyond that which I can handle. I claim that today. As overwhelming as things seem at times I rest today in the promise of Your Word to finish what You started.

No comments: