Monday, March 9, 2009

A Weary Soul

Today's Reading: Deuteronomy 10:12-22 & Mark 16

Scripture:
"Looking up, they saw that the stone had been rolled away, although it was extremely large." Mark 16:4

Observation:
For those who had followed Jesus this was a horrible day. He was dead and they had completely missed His teaching so they were distraught. They were also afraid. Now that He was gone the religious leaders would stop at nothing to finish them off. They all went into hiding.

In this passage a handful of ladies do a very brave thing. They head out on a mission to anoint His body. They had no idea what they would face or how they would accomplish their task. They also did not have a clue as to the fact that they had completely missed the teachings of Jesus and were dead wrong in their thinking and behavior.

Be all that as it may, they chose to press forward. They picked themselves up off the ground and did the best thing they could think to do. As a result they were the first to see the risen savior. They were the first to have the hope restored.

Application:
There are days when, just like the disciples depicted in this chapter, I feel like everything I believed in lies buried in a cave, covered by a huge rock, and guarded by a band of solders. These seasons of doubt can cover many things. Sometimes it is my belief in God. Sometimes it is my belief in myself. Sometimes is my belief in the outcome of a situation. My wife, my kids, my future, my finances and on and on I can go. There is not one aspect of my life that at some point does not face what feels like extinction. It is in the midst of the storms that I must learn to pick up my broken faith, weary heart, and tattered emotions and press on towards God.

Prayer:
Why are you weary O my soul? David penned those words quite often in his writings and they best express my feelings today. My soul is weary this morning. I feel weak and my defenses seem vulnerable to all forms of attack. There is no strength to my faith as it seems to fold at the slightest of adversity.

The tormenting part of this moment is not what I face externally; it is the internal battle that is wearing me out. In my heart of hearts in know that my feelings and emotions are out of control and wrong. At the same time I feel as if they have created a cage of torment from which there is no escape.

Father in the heat of this moment and the dryness of this desert I am running towards You as best I know how. I ask that You calm my soul and grant to me the ability to pull myself under control. Bring to me confidence and boldness. Guide my steps and along the road I travel. Reveal Yourself to me in real and tangible ways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am at such a perplexing point in my Christian life. I have never done better at turning to God during a crisis. I have always found faith plentiful when things are well. I internalize & blame myself during tough times. I look in hindsight & see things I should have done differently & make excuses for the people who hurt me. Now at least, I understand that this is the sin of pride to think I could control & craft a positive outcome.

I wonder now if it is a lack of faith that keeps me from moving on with my life alone & satisfied with God being my sole companion. In the past, being resolute & determined has served me well, now I wonder if I’m being obstinate & unwilling to face that my marriage never had a chance.

Thanks for sharing your blog,

Wade