Friday, March 20, 2009

Three Places a Leader Should Spy

Today's Reading: Joshua 7 & 1 Corinthians 5

Scripture:
"Now Joshua sent men from Jericho to Ai, which is near Bethaven, east of Bethel, and said to them, 'Go up and spy out the land. So the men went up and spied out Ai." Joshua 1:7

Observation:
Victories do not teach us nearly as much about ourselves as our failures do. This chapter represents the first failure of the Israeli campaign for the Promised Land. Prior to going into battle Joshua spied out the land. This was a prudent thing to do because it supplied him with critical information regarding how to plan his attack. But Joshua failed to realize that there are three places a leader needs to spy out as he moves his people forward.

Application:
First, I must know the condition of my own heart. In verse 7, Joshua prays to the LORD and in a moment of weakness and fear something is revealed that represented a mortal risk to Joshua; he griped against God. That moment could have cost Joshua his leadership of the people of Israel. The same is true of me. In a moment of weakness and fear my greatest threat are the things hidden in my heart. Old wounds, stinking thinking, immoral lusts and deceptions all can lie buried, waiting for an opportune time to be used of satan.

Second, I must know the condition of my team. In verse 1 it is revealed that one of the Israelites violated the covenant. This truth represents a great deal of pain to a leader. No one likes to kick someone out. These decisions are painful to make and tough to execute. Regardless of the weight of removing an individual, there are issues of sin that just can be ignored. The integrity of the mission has to be valued above personal feelings towards a person.

Finally, I must know the condition of my target. This is the part Joshua got right in this passage. He sent spies to help assess what needed to be done and to form his plans. Joshua knew that the land was given to him by God, but he still planned as any prudent person would. No matter my faith in a situation I still have to be aware of where I am headed, what I will face, and how to allocate my resources.

Prayer:
Father, I needed to hear this truth today. There are things in my heart that just are not right. Little tendencies that I tolerate. Passing thoughts I victimize. Moral threats I ignore. I confess these things to You this morning and trust that Your grace is sufficient to bring forgiveness, wholeness and strength to my weakness.

I ask that You guide me in leading my teams. Help me to know the condition of my flock and not become oblivious to the choices my team is making. Help us keep each other clean.

Finally I ask God that You help me understand fully the challenges that I face as I pursue Your direction for my life. Help me attack things in a calculated and prudent manner. Move before me and give me victory over those who stand against Your purpose

No comments: