Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Just Have Faith

Today's Reading: Numbers 35:33-34 & Mark 11

Scripture:
"And Jesus answered saying to them, 'Have faith in God.'" Mark 11:23

Observation:
I can't help but wonder how the disciples responded to this statement. It is such a simple statement. Many times I have heard people use this phrase as the default answer to questions they could not handle. Life kicks you in the teeth, have faith. Lose your job, have faith. Sickness strikes, have faith. Depression sets in, have faith. On and on it goes. The world we live in has clearly polluted this phrase and robbed it of its glory. This morning I sense from God His desire to see the power of faith return.

Application:
Ok, so I hate responding to this statement. Have faith in God. In the Christianese book of comeback phrases this is the one often dropped when a Christian does not know what to say or has run out of arguments.

The problem is that faith is not that easy for me. It takes work. It takes focus. It takes experience. As I read through Mark 11, I see a few things that could hinder my faith, but the main thing I noted this morning is pursuing the wrong expectations.

As Jesus enters the city the people come out and welcome Him with customs fitting the arrival of a king. They wanted to exalt Him to the throne and see Him take charge of their nation. It had to be tempting for Him. He was fully human and what human is not tempted to get caught up in the expectations of others.

The same is true of me. There are times in my life when I get off track chasing down the expectations others have for me. Man you ought to be______. I have filled in that blank with many things. Often I have found myself in a place God never intended for me, trying to use God's faith in pursuit of something He never desired me to pursue. Faith does not work very well like that.

I must learn to seek God's answers as I fill in the blanks of my life. His faith is available in full measure as long as I am aligned with His will and purpose in my life.

Prayer:
I am sorry LORD for the mess that I have made of my faith. I think back over my life and there have been many nights I sat in anger and disappointment over what felt like empty promises from Your Word. The more I grow in You the more I realize just how often I twist Your Word and attempt to apply my faith to pursue my own selfish desires.

The call on my life is to be broken and poured out as an offering before You. I am to care about the things that You care about. I struggle with this. The noise of the world is so loud. Every second, of every day is filled with things pursuing my faith and focus.

I need for You to ground me this morning. Father am totally dependent upon You today. I ask that You open my eyes to see You walking before me. Allow me to be led by Your tangible presence. Help me to hear Your wisdom and direction in any situation I face, provide me with the boldness needed to speak Your truth and focus my life's ambition on nothing else but Your glory being revealed.

No comments: