Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Desire for More

Today's Reading: Deuteronomy 15:1-11 & Galatians 1

Scripture:
"And they were glorifying God because of me." Galatians 1:24

Observation:
This was not an arrogant statement from Paul. The life Paul led prior to his conversion was so vile and violent towards the church that people had no other explanation for his conversion other than God had done a work. He was now living his life according to the will of God and for His glory.

Application:
I should never think highly of myself, but I should always think highly of the things that God has done in my life. I should learn to identify them and to celebrate them. I serve an extraordinary God who does extraordinary things. Living life according to His will and for His glory should not be something I passively pursue. I should go after it with all that I am and in spite of whatever others may say.

Prayer:
Father, I am so unsure of myself. I hesitate. I look for affirmation from others. I seek approval. I do these things because I am afraid of messing up. As I study over this passage from Paul I am reminded of his boldness and convicted of my own timidity. As soon as people notice me I shy away because I so fear attention. There is a crassness in the men of the Bible that is missing from my life.

All this creates inside of me a desire for more than I am currently experiencing. This prayer is frightening to me for I know that the level at which I experience You is directly related to the level at I am willing to die to myself. I ask that You do something in me that is according to Your will and for Your glory.

No comments: