Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Wet Feet of a Leader

Today's Reading: Joshua 3 & 1 Corinthians 4

Scripture:
"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power." 1 Corinthians 4:20

Observation:
Talk is not a good indicator God's chosen leader. The proof of a life surrendered to God is God's power working in them. This morning's readings reveal to me some simple truths about a the life of a spirit filled leader.

Application:
The first truth that I see is a spirit filled leader is not focused on advancement; he is focused on being a faithful steward of what is given. My drive in life can't be what I want to get done. Goals are great and I have plenty of them constantly before me, but I must not allow them to become my focus. My drive and ambition in life must be derived from the pure pursuit of pleasing God. He demands that I be a good steward, a faithful servant and a prudent leader. He expects a good return on all that He has entrusted to me.

The second truth that I see is it is God who makes a leader. This truth is clearly revealed to me in Joshua 3:7. Joshua did not decide to do great things and become the leader of Israel. He was consistently faithful to God and God Himself raised him up. God Himself decided to place His hand upon Joshua and prove His power through Him. The heights of my leadership are not mine to chose. All I can be focused on is the depth of my obedience, faithfulness, and stewardship.

The final truth I see in the life of a spirit led leader is the most difficult one. Spirit led leaders always take the greatest risk. In Joshua 3 I see this revealed clearly. Joshua made some outrageous claims before the people of Israel. He had to move forward only on a promise. He instructed the people to stay behind the leadership. Not just behind them, but a good distance behind them. As the leaders of Israel carried the ark before the people, they were the only ones that got wet feet that day. The same is true for me. I must be willing to be out in front of those I lead and take the first risk.

Prayer:
Father, thank for opening Your word to me this morning. The past two days have been like my own personal leadership summit with You. I submit to You my heart and all its desires. I want my only focus in life to be reflecting Christ's love to the lost and being found by You to be a faithful steward.

Father I am just reminded of the toil of a leader. Being to one with wet feet takes a lot out of me. I confess to You that I am often guilty of looking at the rising waters more than I focus on You. I release to You the direction of my life. The choice to advance my leadership is not mine to make; it is Yours.

No comments: