Wednesday, March 25, 2009

3 Alerts

Today's Reading: Joshua 21:43-45; Psalm 47; & 1 Corinthians 10

Scripture:
"For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren…" 1 Corinthians 10:1

Observation:
This is a great passage. In 1 Corinthians 10, Paul informs the Church at Corinth of several things regarding sin, legalism and self-centeredness. I see three reminders I need today.

Application:
I have to live alert to my patterns of sin. Verse 13 says that there is no temptation but such as is common to man. There are no new sins in the world and there are rarely any new patterns of sin in my life. Most everything I struggle with are things that I have struggled with for a long time. I play victim to these things and often feel like I was sideswiped or not given much of a chance. This verse reminds me today that when I give into temptation, it was my choice. God will never allow me to face more than I am able to withstand.

I have to live alert to escape. Verse 13 also says that God gives me a way out. Here is something I have learned about escape; the earlier I flee the better my chances. This is true in the natural world and it is just as true in the spiritual world. I need to flee from temptation early. My issue is that I linger. I want to get as close to the edge as I can. I try to savor the moment as much as I can without actually partaking. What ends up happening is I get close enough to the bait that I fall in the trap every time.

I have to live alert to the greater good. Paul points this out in several verses from this chapter. I need to be aware of the impact my actions have on the conscience of others. Of all the reminders, I despise this one the most. I have so much pride. Adjusting my behavior for the benefit of another person grates on my emotions like a piece of sandpaper down my back. This is a huge weakness of mine and I need God to do a mighty work.

Prayer:
Help me pay attention today. I need to be alert to the temptations that will come and the escape you have already set in place. Create a desire inside of me to flee early and God I trust that as I do that You will snuff out the pursuit of my enemy.

I also need to die some today. Father forgive my pride and help me soften to the needs of others around me. You have done an amazing work in every area of my life that I have released to You, but for some reason I am still holding strong to my unwillingness to adjust choices for the benefit of others. There is something vile in my heart and I see it clearly this morning.

Forgive me, heal me and make me whole in this area. Give me a greater love for others. Give me the strength to die to myself and live for the benefit of the greater good.

No comments: