Tuesday, March 24, 2009

3 Aims of a Believer

Today's Reading: Joshua 20 & 1 Corinthians 9

Scripture:
"Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in a way, as not beating the air." 1 Corinthians 9:26

Observation:
A good runner does not run without intention, they always have a goal for each run. A good boxer does not waste his punches, each one is calculated to hit its intended target. The same is true of the Christian life. As I read this chapter I see 3 aims every believer should have.

Application:
I must live under compulsion for the gospel. In verse 16 Paul says that he must preach the gospel because he does not have a choice. He can't help but do it. My issue is this, I allow myself a choice. I spend many more moments wondering if I am supposed to share the gospel that do I wondering how God is going to open the door. I give myself to many opportunities for escape. I need to allow God to fully develop His work inside of me not out of fear of punishment, but so that my desire to share His Word will become fully alive.

I must live free from any selfish distraction. Paul points out in verse 12 that the great thing about being a Christian is that I am free to do many things. The liberty of Christ is amazing. The trouble is I am also bound to do nothing that would hinder someone from being distracted from the gospel. I do not think that this applies to living life in a way that does not offend the religious. Jesus offended this group daily, but it does mean that I should say no to anything that would cause unbelievers to be turned off.

Finally, I must live a life relevant to the people I wish to reach. Paul points this out in verse 19. I have never had a problem with this teaching. I have been all things to all people. The problem is that I have often done it because I did not want to stand out or because I found this to be a more entertaining way to live. That is not the heart of this teaching. The heart of this teaching is that I always have my aim set on reaching someone for Christ. People have to connect with me before they will hear me. Being relevant is simple a conduit for that connection.

Prayer:
Father I ask today that the Word of Jesus Christ come fully live to me. I pray that It radiate every fiber of my being and grow so strong inside of me that I find myself living under its compulsion. I live today as a man desiring to share the gospel but I long for the day when I live a man who can't help but share the gospel.

Move me on mission. Help me to surrender anything in my life that would hinder me from living according to Your calling. I desire to have every selfish motive and ambition laid down before You so that I am able to be moved by You in any direction at any time.

Teach me to relate to others in a purposeful way. Open my eyes to live in a way that positions me to connect with others in a manner that allows plenty of open opportunity to offer them life You have so freely given to me.

No comments: