Monday, March 23, 2009

A Greater Love

Today's Reading" 1 Corinthians 8

Scripture:
"Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies. If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know; but if anyone loves God, he is known by Him."
1 Corinthians 8:1-3

Observation:
Many times it is easy to turn pursuing God into a pursuit of knowledge. It is knowledge that people are often judged by when it comes to appraising someone on a spiritual basis. Often it is tempting to shrink back on a subject or issue if our knowledge is weak. Likewise, we find it much easier to speak out when we feel that we have knowledge regarding a matter. This verse serves as a great reminder that knowledge is a secondary pursuit to love.

Application:
I need a greater love for others. That is the conviction that I feel in my heart today. I have not pursued love nearly to the same level as I have pursued knowledge.

Prayer:
Father I feel convicted this morning of my arrogance and need to confess that to You. I have a desire inside of me to make much of myself. I study Your Word in hopes of elevating my knowledge and my position in the eyes of others. That is a sinful pursuit of pride and I confess it to You.

Father it is impossible for me to express Biblical love to others. There is nothing inside of me capable of giving that sacrificially to others. I pray that You empower me to lay down my pursuit of arrogant knowledge and help instead seek a greater love for others.

No comments: