Friday, March 6, 2009

Something More

Today's Reading: Deuteronomy 4, Psalm 36 & Mark 13:31-37

Scripture:
"Has anything been done like this great thing or has anything been done like it?" Deuteronomy 4:32

Observation:
In this passage in Deuteronomy Moses walks the Israelites back through their history. In this verse he challenges them to look back over the course of their life and to search the earth from one end to the other and see if they could find anything that compared to what God had done in their lives. They truly served an extraordinary God.

Application:
This is a challenging word to me. The world we live in today is filled with extraordinary things. It is a world unlike any generation has ever known. Things that my grandparent's generation saw as modern marvels are honestly second nature to people of my generation. Gadgets from the James Bond movies of the 60's and 70's that were far-fetched back then are common place items in our current reality.

So the challenge for me this morning is to create two lists. In the first list let's suppose I were to examine my life from its beginning to its current state and take an inventory of all the things God did in my life. In the second list let's suppose I took an inventory of all the inventions that the world has seen from the beginning of my life until now. The question would then become which list is more impressive?

Prayer:
Father I do not need to create these lists. In my heart, I know which one would be more impressive. I have not sought after the extraordinary God of the Bible. I fear that I have not pursued much more than something ordinary and comfortable. Instead of looking to join Your movement in the world around me, I have sought to have You create movements of convenience in my own life. My prayers and my life have been self-serving for most of my time on earth.

Father we need something more in our world today than the ordinary image of You created by religion. The church is dying for the extraordinary God we read about in the Bible to show up and do extraordinary works. Father I ask that You manifest Yourself in a manner that proves to the lost world that the hand of YAWEH is upon His people. I pray that the choices I make lead me not to a life of just peace and prosperity but to a life that joins You in creating the movement You desire for this generation.

No comments: