Sunday, February 15, 2009

Secure Living

Scripture:
"…that you may live securely on the land. Then the land will yield its produce, so that you can eat your fill and live securely on it. Leviticus 25:17

Observation:
The scripture leads us to live life according to God's way. God's way is most always opposite of the common logic that leads the thinking of the world. The world tells me to take care of myself and look out for my best interest. But here God tells us the true secret to living securely on earth is to not wrong one another, but to fear him and follow his commands.

Application:
My God is amazing. He cares about me. He cares about all men. In the midst of all that He has watch over, he cares about our feelings and our protection from being taken advantage of or wronged. What are the ways that I wrong others? I am not a cut-throat salesman nor am I a ruthless business man. I do not take financial advantage of people in the pursuit of money. My methods are much more subtle. I withhold the full truth. I forgo paying a complement when it is in my power to do so. I back down. I speak out in wrath.

My sins against my brothers and sisters are so many. Self-preservation often steps in and takes over. I will sacrifice most anything in pursuit of protecting or advancing myself. It seems to just come naturally. But it is crazy. Keeping God's commands is the ticket. It is what I am called to do and the only pathway that will lead me to God's goodness. All other paths lead me to feel empty and create in me a sense of paranoia that drives me mad.

Prayer:
From Psalms 25:4-6. My sins are ever before me Father. I approach you with boldness this evening not out of my lack of sin, but by my reliance on the Grace bestowed to me by Your Son Jesus Christ. None of those who wait for You will be ashamed. That is my desire tonight; to wait on you.

Keep me from dealing treacherously with others without cause and allow me to proceed with adverse plans only when it is Your hand guiding me. Make me know Your ways. This is a request that I fully expect to come at great personal death, but it is my desire to truly know Your ways. Light my heart and soul with a deep longing and life altering thirst for a glimpse of Your Glorious ways.

You are the God of my salvation and my only desire. It is for you that I wait. Mold me. Break me. Use me. May the tablets that hold the history of my life be filled with evidence of the goodness that comes to a man centered in Your will and righteous ways. Fill my house with the voices of those serving your name. Make my legacy one that endures to the last days of my life and carries on to through my lineage until Your return. May we be known as a family that serves the Most High God. Keep me from doing wrong to another. Defend me before the people and prove the power of Your Hand through me. Allow my plans to prosper and bring glory to You. Keep me from shame. Let me not fall aside.

No comments: