Friday, February 20, 2009

A Way Through

Today's Reading: Psalm 23 & Acts 27


Scripture:
"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want." Psalm 23:1

Observation:
This is one of the most widely known Psalms. Just about any child raised in the South knows it by heart and just about anyone in the United States would be familiar with select parts of it. As popular as it may be I also feel that it is one of the most misunderstood passages in the Bible.

Application:
This is not one of my favorite Psalms. There are a couple reasons for this, but I think that primary reason is all the contradictions I see between it and my life. It says I shall not want, but I want a lot. It says I will lie down in green pastures, but I often find myself standing in the hot sands of a desert. My soul often feels more afflicted than it does restored and the path of righteousness seems to constantly allude me.

I think that is the struggle that I have with this passage. In my own mind this chapter would indicate a way out of trouble. A way to avoid it. A way to never feel pressed. But I think that is a lie. What this chapter represents to me is a promise to bring your through, not a way to escape.

Prayer:
Father, as I read this chapter from Your Word I realize that I am out of alignment. I pray spoiled prayers. I come at You only looking for You to change my circumstances. When my circumstances stay the same I get angry. In my anger it is tempting to look at passages like the 23rd Psalm and feel like there is no truth in it. I confess this to You as sin and thank You for Your forgiveness.

You are my Shepherd. Help me submit to Your leadership. Instead of always praying over my circumstances, teach me to pray over my heart and emotions so that I will be able to control them. Instead of hoping for escape from hard times, I pray that You teach me to find joy in walking through.

I ask that my relationship with You become so real, so tangible, and so fulfilling that it rises up the circumstances of my life. I pray for peace that is beyond understanding and a sense of safety and purpose that is protected from the harsh realities of life.

No comments: