Monday, April 5, 2010

Avoiding a Troubled Heart

Reading: John 14

"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me." John 14:1


Examination:

Troubled here means to be stirred or agitated. In the context of this verse, Jesus is not merely making a suggestion. He is giving a command. In doing this He is reminding His disciples that though the circumstances they face are not always theirs to choose the condition of their heart is.


Application:

Jesus did not simply give a command and leave it at that. The verses that follow this one contain many principles that will help me keep my heart of our trouble. First, I can not give my heart to this world. This world is amazing and it has a great deal to offer me. As marvelous as this world can be, it is not my home. My heart does not belong here. Jesus went before me to make a place for me. That place is untouchable by the circumstances of the world.


Nothing can trouble my heart more quickly than complacency. My faith has to be alive. It has to be active. Salvation is more than insurance. It is a call to the passionate pursuit of discovering my role in the movement of God in the lives of others. Anything less than this will not be strong enough to sustain my heart.


Finally, I have to connect with the Helper. The gift of the Holy Spirit is a precious gift to every believer. Unfortunately, He is a helper that I often fail to connect with. The strength of my faith will always be limited to the strength of my connection with the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit in my life.


Prayer:

Father, the words of Your Son in John 14:12 are jumping out at me this morning:

"if anyone steadfastly believes in Me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father"


There are days in which I find myself struggling to just stay above water. I read this verse, examine my life, and quite honestly sit here puzzled. My life should reflect You much more greatly than it does right now.


The desire of my heart is to live a life that is focused on the heavenly home that is mine, that is joyfully submitted to Your commands, and that is fully empowered by Your Holy Spirit. I pray that Your work in and through my life prove the power of Your strength and reflect the greatness of Your glory.

No comments: