Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Ultimate Purpose

Read: Romans 9

"I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience testifies with me in the Holy Spirit, that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh" Romans 9:1-3


Examine:

This is a very telling quote from Paul. It reveals the depth of anguish he carried for those around him who did not know Christ. He came out of their lifestyle. He lived their lives. The life, freedom, and hope that he found in Christ was so much better than the life he had without Christ; he was willing to become a curse for others to experience the same transformation.


Apply:

The love of God in me should always produce a burden to see others come to know God through faith in Jesus Christ. The closer I become to God this desire to share should begin to consume the other desires in my life. The ultimate purpose in discipleship and growth is not personal peace and sanctification. God works and stirs inside of me to press me into serving others has they seek to find their relationship with God. He builds me up so that I may have something to pour into the life of another.


Pray:

Father,

I can only share what I know. I pray that You open the eyes of my heart to fully bask in the riches of my salvation. Let me see the depth of it. Help me to walk in the unfathomable promise regarding my eternity. I ask that my salvation become the overriding source of my desires, energy, and motivation.


I can only share what I can articulate. I pray that You give me words to describe the work that you are doing inside of me. Help me to clearly articulate the things that You reveal to me and to fully understand the power that is growing inside of me. I pray that I be able to find the words necessary to birth the message You have planted in my heart.


I can only share when my heart is burdened. I pray that You awaken in me a holy anguish for those outside the faith. As I move through this day You have given I pray that I do it looking for opportunities to connect others to You.

No comments: