Thursday, April 1, 2010

Good Shepherd Leading

Reading: John 10

"My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." John 10:29


Examination:

John ten is an amazing chapter of scripture. As Jesus addresses the Jews who refused to believe in Him, there are some powerful leadership lessons revealed. Whether it is leading my spouse, my kids or my staff; being a good shepherd to those given to me is critical.


Application:

Verse one reminds me that a good shepherd leader leads through Jesus. All my leadership has to be done in and through Christ. This means that my behavior has to mirror His. I have to speak the truth even when it hurts. I have to give of myself even when I am tired. I have invest in God's plans for those I lead. I have to be the model for all that I speak about. I have to make sure that those I lead are equipped to go own without me. Above all, I have to make sure that my plans are in alignment with the Father's.


Verses four and five remind me that a good shepherd leader gets ahead of those in his charge and relationally connects with them. My vision as a leader has to be ahead of those I lead. At the same time, I have to make sure that I do not lose sight of those given to me.


Verse eighteen reminds me that a good shepherd leader is no hireling or exploiter. The people I lead do not exist for my leadership. My leadership exists for them. This means that I am in the fight for them. It means I will suffer loss for them. It means that my ultimate joy is in seeing God's purpose fulfilled in them. Their ideas, their dreams, their heart, and their God given purpose should be the treasures I help them seek.


Prayer:

The standard You set for leadership is incredibly high. In leading my wife, my kids, my staff, and my church I ask that I be a good shepherd. Teach me to learn from Christ, to live for Christ and to lead others to Christ. I ask that all my decisions be carried out through the heart of Jesus.


Give to me the vision You have for those I have responsibility for and the relational capital I need to press them towards that vision. I ask that Your wisdom, discernment and favor be poured out on them through me.


Lead me to a heart that is humble enough to constantly live for the benefit of others. I trust You to tend to my needs as I give of myself to tend to the needs of others. I ask that all my dreams, hopes, and fulfillment be found and celebrated in seeing Your will and purpose accomplished in the lives those You have given to me.

No comments: