Sunday, April 11, 2010

Getting Unstuck

Read: John 21

"Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We will also come with you." They went out and got into the boat; and that night they caught nothing."

John 21:3


Examine:

Based on the text, it appears the disciples were stuck. They had experienced a tumultuous series of events and understandably they were confused and unsure of the future. So Peter and some disciples decided to go fishing. Jesus would meet them in what they were doing and help give them direction for their new lives. He also left for us a few reminders on how to get unstuck.


Apply:

There are a couple of things from this chapter I need to remember when I get stuck. First, fairness is not a Biblical value. Hard times or confusing seasons often tempt me to look to my left and my right and compare my life to the lives of others. I do this to judge whether life is treating me fair or not. This is a dangerous philosophy. What God does or does not do in the life of another is no business of mine. Jesus makes this clear in verse twenty-two. Comparing myself to others will only serve to dig me deeper into the trouble I face.


Second, sometimes it is helpful to go back to the beginning. Fishing is what these men were up to the first time they met Jesus. Perhaps they thought it wise to go back to the beginning. When I am stuck and do not know where to go next sometimes it is good to take what I have learned, go back to the beginning, and start over. Clarity often comes as I separate myself from striving so hard to move past an obstacle.


Finally, I have to remember that I serve a redeeming God. No matter how bad I have messed up or how deep I have gotten myself stuck; the grace of God through Jesus Christ is great enough to pull me out.


Pray:

Father,

I am incredibly grateful that You are not into being fair. I have messed up enough in my life that I fully appreciate that You have not given me what would be considered fair. You have dealt with me in a manner that is gracious beyond anything I deserve. Forgive me for the times I allow my frustrations to turn into jealousy over Your work in the lives of others.


A life spent in pursuit of Christ will be a crazy adventure. There will be ups and there most certainly will be downs. Just as the disciples, I can reasonably expect to experience a whirlwind of circumstances that will test my faith in every way possible.

I pray that when I find myself stuck in a place and searching for a answer that I will seek after You in a manner leads me to a deeper understanding of Your glory.

No comments: