Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Not Fully First

Read: Psalm 16

"The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup;

You support my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;

Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me." Psalm 16:5-6


Examine:

David compared the LORD to a portion allotted to him by inheritance. The Lord was all he needed to satisfy his heart in life. The boundary lines in pleasant places speak of portions of land measured by line and distributed by lot. In other words he compared God's blessings to the best inheritance a person could receive. The Lord had given him a wonderfully full life.


Apply:

The other day I was discussing the fall of a famous person. This person is the wealthiest in his business. There is literally nothing on earth that is beyond his reach. He has an amount of wealth that is beyond comprehension and has mostly spent it on gratifying the dark desires of his flesh.


In the midst of my conversation regarding this guy, I felt more than a small twinge of jealousy and envy. "It is not fair", I thought to myself. Why would God allow a man that wicked to have so much and me to have so little. Could God not just throw a little of that wealth my way?


"But You have me. He is does not." Those were the words I heard God speak to me in response to the question rolling around in my mind. The full weight of God's response did not hit me until I read this passage.


For David, his relationship to God was his everything. It was tangibly better than anything he could experience. What about me? Where does my relationship with God fall on the value chain in my life?


Prayer:

Father,

You are not fully first in my life. I could dance around what You are putting on my heart today but I am fully aware of what You are saying to me today. I can not honestly say that my relationship with You is the full portion of my inheritance. I confess that to You this morning as honestly and sincerely as I can. I do not desire to live one more day of my life struggling against Your desire to be fully first in my life.


I have to be honest with You and myself. I am fully incapable of doing this in my own strength. I ask that You reveal Your glory to me in a way that leads me to experience the depths of Your worth. I ask that You bring to life the value of my relationship with You so that it overtakes everything else in my life. I surrender my desires to You today and pray that You replace them with an unquenchable thirst to know You as the supreme prize in life.


I am grateful to You today for being a safe place for me to workout the sin in my life. There is no greater feeling that receiving clarity and forgiveness from You. Protect the things that You have asked of me today and encourage me as I continue my journey back home to You.

No comments: