Wednesday, April 7, 2010

No Need to Press

Read: John 16

"I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now." John 16:12


Examination:

Jesus was in His final moments with His disciples. He had given them as much instruction and warning as He felt they could handle. In this verse, Jesus was reminding them that their knowledge was not complete and they must continue to seek Him through the Holy Spirit that was to come.


Application:

There are days when I open the Word and things just come screaming off the page at me. I hear the voice of God speaking loudly and see a verse or a passage in a totally new way. When this happens it is as if the windows to my soul open up and I understand the work that God is doing on my heart.


Then there are mornings like this one. I look at the words in my Bible and they seem to just silently stare back at me. I hear nothing. I sense nothing. Just silence. Uncomfortable silence. It is tempting to press and force application or to panic myself into believing that something is wrong.


This verse is a great reminder that God will only give to me as much as I can handle at one time. No need to press. No need to panic. Everything is precisely as it should be. More will come when the time is right.


Prayer:

I am grateful that You know me. I am so appreciative of the fact that I can trust You to not give me more than I can process or handle. The past couple weeks have been remarkably rich with You. Your teaching and movements have been incredible. My faith has been pressed forward to new levels strength and peace. Thank You for giving me time to rest and process what You have already spoken to me.

No comments: