Friday, April 2, 2010

Fear of Losing

Reading: John 11

"'If we let Him go on like this, all men will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation.'" John 11:48-49


Examination:

The Jewish leaders knew that if they didn't stop Jesus the Romans would lash out against all of them. Rome gave partial freedom to the Jews as long as they were quiet and obedient. Jesus' miracles often caused a disturbance. The leaders feared that Rome's displeasure would bring additional hardship to their nation. Their fear of losing what was theirs compelled them to kill the movement of God through His Son.


Application:

My fear of losing what is comfortable or valuable to me will cause me to kill the movement of God in my life. That is the bottom line truth. Here are a few things I can learn from this chapter in John that will protect me.


First, know the Son and His words. Throughout this passage Jesus walks His disciples through the process and mentors them with His words. He introduces new teaching specific to the situation they face but He also refers back to things He had already given them as preparation. I need to sit daily and reflect on what God has already revealed to me and seek new revelations for the challenges that I face today.


Second, I have to understand the concept of appointed times. Jesus did not fear anything because He knew that His life was being directed by God. His life was aligned with the will of the Father and that enabled Him to rest in the truth that nothing in His life would happen before God's appointed time. I have to resist the urge to press the panic button when things do not happen according to my appointed times. God's time table is all that matters.


Finally, I have to lose my life daily. That is the call of my faith. I come to Christ and surrender my life to Him. Anytime I catch myself holding back parts of my life or developing a sense of fear around losing some part of my life I have to recognize that as the beginnings of idolatry. Idolatry will murder the movement of God in my life.


Prayer:

Father, You are not always first place in my life. Staying in relationship with You and being surrendered before You is a daily battle. There are days when I simply allow the things in my world to overcome the Spirit You placed inside of me. The noise of the daily grind of living drowns out the sound of Your words in my heart.


Your timing is rarely convenient for me. I want things to happen now. I do not understand the concept of waiting. I often panic and press things before they are ready or I pass on things because I do not feel like I am ready. My sense of urgency and my assessment of personal readiness often cause me to jump ahead or fall behind Your plans for me.


My life is not dead to me. I struggle to hold on to it. Fear of losing what is mine often causes me to hold back. Fully surrendering to You my mind, will, emotions, possessions, relationships, and future has proven to be a challenge beyond my reach.


In my weakness You are my strength. I release these weaknesses to You today trusting that You are able to cover them with Your grace and empower me through Your Spirit to walk out the call You have on my life.

No comments: