Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Joy Made Full

Reading: John 15

"These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full." John 15:11


Examination:

Joy can be defined as the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying. There are three "something's" I see in verses 1 - 11 that can contribute to making my joy full.


Application:

I need to stop living with the mindset that I am sinful man trying to become clean. Verse 3 reminds me that my sins have been done away with because of what Christ did for me. I need to live my life with a mindset that all that needs to be done to cover my failures is complete. I am already clean. There is no need to continually try and pay penance for my past, present, or future failures.


This freedom afforded to me by the grace of God should compel me to draw near to Him. I do this by pursuing His heart. God's provision of mercy and grace is not intended to license me to live as I wish. The purpose of the provision is to free me to pursue Him without being encumbered by any burden of guilt. God accepts me without condition. All He asks in return is that I love Him and love people.


I think the final thing that contributes to making my joy full is the concept of big expectations. I fear failure and I fear being let down. I think this fear sometimes tempts me to pray with caution. I fear what will happen if God does not do what I ask so I tend to ask for things that I know could happen. Jesus says in verse 8 that God is glorified by me bearing MUCH fruit. I need to ask for bigger movements of Him in my life.


Prayer:

There is nothing that can be held against me before You. I know my past and so I fully understand the magnitude of this truth. I am so grateful today for the peace I get to experience everyday regarding the things I have managed to screw up in my life. Thank You for Your grace and mercy and the joy that it brings me.


My connection to You through Your Son is my only source of life. I have pursued a lot of things in my life searching for joy, but all have proven themselves empty. I ask that You lead me today in abiding in You. Above all the noise in my life I pray that Your voice and face hold me captive. I ask that every step I make be in alignment with Your steps before me.


This prayer scares me, but I ask that You help me raise the level of risk I am willing to take for You. I do not know how this plays out but I desire for the fruit of my life to reflect Your glory and far exceed my abilities. Teach me to pray for things that prove Your greatness and help me to rest in Your ability to fulfill Your word in my life.


No comments: