Saturday, October 17, 2009

Fickle Me

Today's Reading: Job 1:21-22 & Acts 6


Scripture:

"Through all of this job did not sin nor did he blame God." Job 1:22


Observation:

Job never allowed his respect, obedience, or adoration of God to be tied to or based upon the tangible earthly blessings he had received.


Application:

My relationship with God is too conditional. That is the basic and ugly truth about the matter. My personal affairs and the state of my life completely affect my connection with God.


I have never suffered anything close to the calamity experienced by Job, yet I have quite often sinned in the midst of adversity and blamed God for things not working out as I planned.


Prayer:

In this world I will have troubles. Your Word makes that abundantly clear in John 16:33. In that passage, Jesus, You also teach me that I should take courage in the midst of my trouble because You have overcome it and are greater.


That is where I get stuck. In the midst of hardships, trials, frustrations, and persecutions it is incredibly easy to lose heart. The noise of life drowns out the truth of heaven and I am tempted to fall away.


I am fickle. I am a fair-weather fan when it comes to my attitude towards You. Blessings come praises follows. Struggles come lamentations follow. I confess this to You this morning as being a strong-hold of sin in my life.


You hard-wired me to get results. When results do not come something deep inside of me wells up and forces action and advancement. I believe that this is how You naturally gifted me to be. It is what makes me good at what I do.


It is also my greatest weakness. Even as I sit with You this morning I carry frustrations over some things in my life that tempt me to turn from You. I do not desire this to be true of me but I also recognize I am helpless in working to overcome it.


From where I am, as best as I can, I submit to Your will in my life. I acknowledge the sin I see and trust Your grace to make me whole and move me past it.

No comments: