Monday, October 5, 2009

Three P's in Prayer

Today's Reading: Esther 3:13; 4; 8; & Luke 18:1-17


Scripture:

"Now he was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart." Luke 17:1


Observation:

Prayer is more than a passing activity for me to do half heartedly. It is a call to a life style that continually pursues the movement of God in my life.


Application:

Purity must be the basis for my prayers. If I am not walking with God or if I am seeking totally selfish motives then my prayers will not have a strong foundation. I need to walk obediently with God and seek His movement in areas that are important to His purpose and plans.


Passion must be the fuel for my prayers. Half hearted prayers are no better than not praying at all. My heart has to be fully engaged in the process. I must allow everything that is true about God become real to me in prayers to God.


Persistence must be the goal of my prayers. Prayer is not a one-and-done deal. Prayer engages a battle in the spirit realm and I must go into it dedicated to pray a matter through to completion.


Prayer:

Father I thank You for the gift of Your Son. Because of the work of Christ it is possible for me to be pure before You. Everything in my life is covered by my acceptance of His sacrifice and my submission to Him as Lord. At the same time I also acknowledge that You desire for me to be more than a sinner covered by grace. I pray that You lead me in walking before You in a manner worthy of my calling. Direct my thoughts, emotions, and actions to be only pure before You continually.


Religious rituals can become cold and meaningless. I fear that I am tempted to allow my prayers to follow this path. I ask that You teach me to pray with passion. Open my heart to express to You a great desire for coming to You in prayer. Break my heart for the things that matter to You and allow me the ability to reflect that broken heart to You in my prayers.


The mystical nature of praying can make it tough to stick with it during times of waiting. Doubt, pressure and restlessness all combine to push me towards dropping my prayers and getting on with my life. I ask that Your Holy Spirit strengthen me to be persistent in waiting for You in prayer.

No comments: