Monday, October 19, 2009

The Steadfast Heart

Today's Reading: Job 5; Psalm 108; & Acts 10:23-48


Scripture:

"My heart is steadfast of God..." Psalm 108:1


Observation:

The thing I love about reading a Psalm from David is that he was a less than perfect warrior of God who faced adversity far greater than anything I hopefully will never know. In the midst of it he never lost his love or pursuit of God.


Application:

There are days when the heaviness of all that is on my plate threaten to steal my heart away and the nastiness of this world feels like it steals the very air from my lungs.


In this passage there are three things I see David doing that lead to me keeping a steadfast heart regardless of what I face.


First, I need to determine to sing. Praising God and singing to Him is not something reserved for only on Sunday. Singing is also not reserved for when I "feel" like it. My heart and soul need to sing to God every day. Even in the midst of the mess that happens during a day I need to teach my heart and soul to be filled with praise for God.


Second, I need to determine to seek God's glory. Those who seek the glory of God with all of their heart, soul, and mind find it; period. There are no exceptions. If I determine to seek after God's glory above all else in my life I will find what I seek.


Third, I need to determine to trust in God. As David closes out this Psalm he reminds himself of his dependency on God and how faithful God is. This is huge. If my life's joy is tied to my life's circumstances, my resources, and my time then I am hopeless. I need to force my heart to look past what can be seen and rest fully in the promise of God to complete what He started in me.


Prayer:

Father I needed to be reminded of the condition of my heart today. I am so grateful that You take the time each day to meet me where I am and offer me counsel on how to move forward. Your patience with me is incredible and far more than I deserve.


Keep me engaged today in the battle for my heart. Satan is hard at work trying to steal away my steadfastness. He wants nothing more than for me to take my eyes off of You and be overtaken by the storms that threaten the skies about me.


My rest is in You. My hope is in You. My joy is in You. There is nothing on this earth that can compare to You. I ask that You reveal Your glory through my life and actions today.

No comments: