Thursday, October 22, 2009

Impossible Missions

Today's Reading: Job 11:7-9 & Acts 16


Scripture: "So the churches were being strengthened in the faith and were increasing in number daily." Acts 16:5


Observation:

Paul was on an impossible mission. There was nothing of worldly means that could offer them any hope of success. There is simply no logical reason that they were able to accomplish anything. Every aspect of their culture violently opposed them; yet the church grew daily.


Application:

The circumstances of my life are not nearly as intimidating as the ones Paul faced, but there are still impossible tasks set before me on a daily basis. As I read through this chapter this morning I see four things Paul teaches me about staying engaged with a tough calling.


First, Paul followed the Spirit's prompting. It was not Paul's ambition that he chased; it was God's. That is a key for me to remember. There is nothing in the scripture that assures I can accomplish my work. There is only the promise that nothing will prevent God from accomplishing his own.


Second, Paul allowed others in on the task. Paul did not adopt a me versus the world attitude. He brought other people in and discipled them along the way. As God Pours into me I have to pour into others and the harder the fight, my need for others to be in the fight with me becomes much more desperate.


Third, Paul kept his praise separate from his circumstances. In the midst of unlawful and undeserved beatings and imprisonments Paul kept singing praises. If my praise becomes conditional based on my circumstances then I am giving myself to a miserable and inconsistent existence.


Prayer:

Father there is a longing in my heart for a bigger mission to pursue. There is a urging inside of me to push further towards the edge of my faith and allow the boundaries of my life to be scratched out and redefined. There is growing inside of me a storm of discontentment that is becoming hard to escape. I do not know what it is You have planned for the next season of my life but I give to You my yes in advance.


I pray that I attune myself to Your Spirit's prompting, that I connect with the people You desire to join in the journey, and that my praise for You find a new life that is separate from the conditions of my life.


You alone are my God. You alone are my hope. You alone are my ambition. It is You alone I desire to serve. I ask that You lead me and affirm me today by Your presence, Your voice, Your favor and Your peace.

No comments: