Friday, October 9, 2009

Three Traits of Great Leadership

Today's Reading: Nehemiah 1 & Psalm 133


Scripture:

"O Lord, I beseech You, may Your ear be attentive to the prayer of Your servant and the prayer of Your servants who delight to revere Your name. and make Your servant successful today and grant him compassion before this man." Nehemiah 1:11


Observation:

In typical Old Testament fashion God had forewarned Israel that He was going to allow them to get overtaken by an enemy if they did not repent of their ways and return to God. Staying true to their customary behavior Israel refused to listen and so God allowed what He forewarned to take place.


Jerusalem lay in ruins. The people remaining, having lost everything, sat and looked at their city: walls broken, gates burned with fire, everything a total loss.


Upon receiving a report of their condition Nehemiah displays three remarkable traits of leadership: 1) He prepared himself on the frontend by staying humble about his position. 2) He prepared himself to face adversity through fasting, praying, repenting, and confessing. 3) He started slow but acted fast.


Application:

Success is not designed for the one experiencing it. It is designed by God to position a person to reveal God's glory. Nehemiah held a highly trusted position with King Artaxeres. It would have been easy for Nehemiah to rest in his lofty position and not worry about anything else, but instead he chose to recognize that God had posted him where he was to accomplish His own purpose.


Wise planning is a Biblical mandate but victory never rests upon it. Though God expects me to make wise choices the key to victory lies in the purity of my heart. Nehemiah fasted & prayed. He repented of the sins he knew to be at the root of Israel's failure. He proclaimed everything he knew to be true of God. Following Nehemiah's example is the best way to make sure that my heart is in the right place before I proceed with my plans.


Spending time on the frontend seeking God and getting into alignment is critical, but when a clear path is given God expects me to move quickly. Nehemiah took the time necessary to get his heart in the right place but when it came time to act, he got it going in a hurry. I think I tend to get this backwards. I jump into something and when I hit my head against the wall I then slow down and seek God.


Prayer:

As I read this story from the life of Nehemiah I see the picture of the leader I desire to be. I want to exist for the benefit of others; to act from a pure heart before I seek a clear plan; and to run quickly, surely, and intently as soon as I have direction from You.

No comments: