Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Leaders Lead

Today's Reading: Ezra 10:1-17; Psalm131: & Luke 21:1-4


Scripture:

"Arise! For this matter is your responsibility, but we will be with you; be courageous and act." Ezra 10:4


Observation:

Israel was in a bad spot. They had seriously violated God's commandment and there was no easy way out. The consequences were huge and what it would take to correct the wrong they had done was beyond what anyone could comprehend. Ezra and the leaders of Israel had a daunting task in front of them.


In spite of the pain, fear and doubt the leaders paint an amazing picture of what true leaders do during hard times: they lead.


Application:

First, they clearly defined the problem and its consequences. When staring at a problem I do no one any favors by dumbing down the act or its results. Plain and simple truth is the best option. I need to make sure that everyone involved fully understands what went wrong.


Second, they clearly defined the plan to turn things around. There was no question about what should take place. When the solution to a problem is messy, hard, or painful I have a tendency to want to get unclear in communicating it. I just need to say it and do so in a manner that is unambiguous.


Third, they set a timeframe and consequences. People knew what to do, when to do it, and what would happen if they did not. The first two steps take so much energy that I am often tempted to sale this part of the process short. It is not micro-management to spell out the what, when and why. It is just good leadership.


Finally, the team implemented the solution as at TEAM. The leaders did not try to do it all themselves. They broke it down into manageable tasks and entrusted them to capable people. Different people stood up at different times and spoke into the solution. I must always remember that the job is not done until each member of the team owns part of the solution.


Prayer:

Leadership is difficult. Whether it is leading my home, leading groups, leading volunteers leading studies or leading at work each level demands a certain amount of energy even during good times. When things turn sour and the road gets rough then energy demands shoot through the roof. This morning is a great reminder to me that leaders lead even when they do not feel like leading. I pray for that truth to sink into the marrow of my soul and that I be a leader worthy of the purpose to which You called me.


Also, as I read this passage, I am reminded of something far greater than a leadership lesson: the incredible gift of Your Son and the forgiveness of my sins.


In the times of Ezra the price of reconciliation with You was steep. In the time following Christ the price has been paid. Thank You so much for my life and the freedom I have through Your Son.

No comments: