Friday, October 2, 2009

Rough Times

Today's Reading: Psalm 147; Zechariah 13:8-9; & Luke 15


Scripture:

"Praise the LORD! For it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant and praise is becoming." Psalm 137:1


Observation:

In the midst of peace and prosperity it is easy to look at a verse such as this and nod one's head in agreement. But when things turn sour and hard times emerge it is easy to lose sight of praise. This passage points to the fact that praising God should always be pleasant and regardless of the circumstances God is becoming of praise.


Application:

There are three tactics I see in the passage that will help me offer praise during rough times.


First, I have to allow myself to be broken by them. There is a side of me that does not like to admit feeling stress, anger, hurt, anxiety or any other negative emotion. Every ounce of pride in me stands strong against wanting to admit weakness. This pride gives me a false sense of being ok and it also limits me to experiencing a false sense of God. The Word says God heals the brokenhearted; not the foolishly proud.


Second, I have to prepare myself for battle; but I also have to remember that God is not impressed by my strength. A part of the battle preparation is maintaining a healthy fear of God. If I place too much focus my problem or if I rest too much on my own strength; then I also crowd out the room God needs to work.


Finally, I have to expect great things from God. I am not sure what it is about me but it is really hard sometimes to not pray wondering what God might do instead of releasing myself to trust in what He will do.


Prayer:
Father nothing can stand in the way of Your spoken word. It always completes its purpose and it never fears the strength of man. I seek after many things in this world but I ask today that You teach me to live on Your words. When the times of my life take a rough turn, I pray You allow me to find Your mending in the midst of my brokenness, Your fear in the midst of my preparations, and Your wonder in the midst of my prayers.


You are beyond anything I can ever imagine. I pray that You be more real than anything I have ever known. I pray that I experience Your tangible movement in my life in such a manner that Your spoken word will become testimony in my life. I hunger for You more than I hunger for my very life. I desire to experience You more than any dream I have. I long be with You more than any person I could know.

No comments: