Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Leading Fig Trees

Today's Reading: Zechariah 7:8-14 & Luke 13


Scripture:

"And He began telling this parable: 'A man had a fig tree which had been planted in his vineyard, and he came looking for fruit on it and did not find any...'" Luke 13:6


Observation:

In the verses that follow the one above, a conversation takes place between the vineyard keeper and the owner. In the parable the vineyard keeper displays three traits a leader should always keep in mind when dealing with a struggling person who is under their charge.


First, the keeper took ownership of the problem. He did not join the owner in giving up on the tree; instead, he took a chance by saying that maybe he had not done all he could have done to help the tree bear fruit.


Second, the keeper agreed to make a special investment in the tree. He did not just leave the tree's turn around to chance and he did not treat all the plants in the vineyard equally. He devised a plan that would position the struggling tree for success.


Finally, the keeper did not absolve the tree from its accountability. The keeper took care of the first two ingredients needed for a turn around, but in the end it was up to the tree to produce.


Application:

My call in life is to stand in the gap for the people God has given me to lead, to make special investments in them when they struggle, and to allow them to stand accountable for their growth and development. From my home life to my work life this lesson in leadership applies to helping a struggling person turn it around.


Prayer:

Leadership is a trust. The people that You have given to my charge are Yours and You expect them to bear fruit. I ask today that You give me the patience, wisdom, vision, and resourcefulness I need to know who to stand in the gap for, who to make a special investment in, and who I need to let go of.


You are the owner, I am the keeper. I ask that You forgive me for the times I forget that. I pray that I serve You well and that I position the people around me to serve You even better. The greatest desire in my heart is that my wife, my kids, and my teams fulfill the expectations, plans and purposes You have for their lives.

No comments: