Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dealing with Problems

Today's Reading: Psalm 145 & Revelation 20


Scripture:

"The LORD sustains all who fall and raises up all who are bowed down." Psalm 145:14


Observation:

God is not passive. He actively works in the lives of those who pursue Him. There are two requirements listed in this text regarding His promise to deliver: 1.) He will be near to those who seek Him in truth. 2.) He will respond according to His purpose and timing.


Application:

My ability to experience God actively working to restore my life is directly tied to my willingness to seek Him in truth and rest in His timing. I am hearing four things God is asking me to do in response to this today.


First, I have got to understand I will fall down and I will be humbled by circumstances. I am a proud man. I am a driven man. Absent of pain and failure, I will not rely on God. If everything in my life rolled on without a hitch then I would not need God and therefore I would never turn to Him.


Second, I have to seek God in truth. This means that my first step in a crisis is to stop and evaluate what is going on in my heart. It means that I have value my relationship and connection with God above my desire to see my situation resolved.


Third, I have to rest in God's timing. I want things now! I can't stand for things to slow down. I move fast from the moment I wake up until I come crashing down at night. I am never not urgent or intentional. That tendency is great strength of mine. It is also a great weakness. I must maintain proper respect of God's sovereignty in my life.


Finally, I have to experience God's greatness. My expectations of God have to be great. My personal witness of His glory must be real, tangible, and powerful. I must constantly meditate on Him and seek Him hard during the good times of my life so that I have something to anchor me during the hard times.


Prayer:

Nothing in my life matters to me more than experiencing the fullness of Your glory. I do not want success. I do not want prosperity. I do not want an easy life. I want You. I have experienced most of what this world has to offer in terms of success, prosperity, health, popularity, and entertainment and have found that these wonderful offerings pale in comparison to walking closely with You.


The cry of my heart today is intimacy with You and that is all I ask.

No comments: