Saturday, September 5, 2009

A New Way to Learn

Today's Reading: Ezekiel 28:25-26 & Revelation 10


Scripture:

"...then they will know that I am the LORD their God." Ezekiel 28:26


Observation:

God's plan from the beginning was to establish the testimony of His greatness by pouring out His blessing on the nation of Israel. Their poor choices created an alternate course of action for God. Instead of just pouring His blessing out on them He would first punish them for their sinful behavior by allowing them to be beat down to nothing.


Then, once their discipline was complete, God would restore them in such a way that the testimony of His greatness would be abundantly clear to those who witnessed the restoration of Israel.


Application:

As I sit with this word this morning I realize a couple things. First, God will get glory in my life one way or the other. The one way is His first choice and it is that my obedience to Him prove to the world around me the greatness of His name. The other way is His second choice and it is that His redemption of me following His discipline of me be so great that people notice the hand of God on me. It makes no sense to me why, but I normally choose the other way.


Second, I need to seek tangible proof of God in my life. The scriptures are great and the testimonies of others are awesome, but I can not live on the bread of others. I need to have my own, personal, tangible encounters with my Holy God. That is the only way to truly know that He is God.


Prayer:

I have historically proven myself to be a stubborn and hard-headed learner of Your truth and Your ways. I am so sorry for being this way but I am also grateful for Your faithfulness. The moments in my life that I have known of Your existence with the greatest clarity are the moments when You redeemed me out of my darkest pits. I am so thankful for those times that You proved above all things that You truly are Yahweh.


I have arrived at a time in my life where I no longer can afford to learn of You that way. The stakes are too high now. My wife, my kids, my team and my congregation all depend on me to be right before You and are affected negatively when I am not.


I pray that You protect those I love from the man I know I can be. Help me to walk before You in a manner that proves Your promise of blessing for those who walk closely with You. Feed me deeply from my own tangible encounters with You and empower me to make wise choices in pursuit of Your plans for my life.

No comments: