Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Following God

Today's Reading: Revelation 14


Scripture:

"These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes." Revelation 14:4


Observation:

This scripture is speaking to the people on earth who during the great tribulation refuse the mark of the beast. They undoubtedly lived during the most defiled era of human existence and yet remained faithful until the end. They were willing to follow the leadership of Christ regardless of the personal cost.


Application:

The measure that applies to this group of people applies to me today. God honors those who walk after the leadership of Christ in their life. There are three things that I must tend to if I am to be counted among those who follow the Lamb.


First, I have to tend to my Holiness. All my sins are forgiven. Past, present, and future failures have all been removed through my salvation in Christ. God did this because He knew I would never be perfect and so He covered it all. As much as I can sin His grace will abounded even more. But that is not a license to live counter to Christ. I have to tend to holy things and run from unholy things. There is no way I can be actively pursuing sin and actively pursuing God.


Second, I need to tend to my awareness. Every moment of every day offers an opportunity to join God in something. He is an active God. The end of humanity will one day come and God is working on earth with a sense of urgency that He expects me to adopt. I need to live my life constantly on the look out for Holy moments.


Finally, I need to tend to my willingness. Salvation from God is a free gift. There is nothing I can do to earn it. That said, there is also nothing free about it. It cost Christ His life and it will cost me control of mine. Taking up my cross and following after Christ is a moment by moment decision I have to make every single day of my life.


Prayer:

My appetite for sin knows no limit. I have seen enough of my darkest side to know that about me. You have brought me out of much and healed me of many things. I am grateful for where I am today but I am also mindful that I have not fully arrived.


My capacity for sin still rests within me. In the blink of an eye can send my life crashing down through my sinful choices. I pray for Your continued protection and deliverance of me from the temptations I face. Give to me a sense of urgency concerning things in my life that should not be there.


The less I am aware of me, the more I am aware of You. I pray that my every need, desire, longing and pursuit be put to rest by the power of Your Spirit so that I may be able to become fully tuned in to the work You have for me. My spirit is so willing to follow, but my flesh is extremely weak. Taking up my cross is no easier now than it was when I first started this journey.


Holy Spirit I pray for Your guidance today. You are my only help and hope in following after Christ today. Equip me with all I need to faithfully pursue the Lordship of my Christ.

No comments: