Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Godly Challenge

Today's Reading: Psalm 85 & Luke 7


Scripture:

"O LORD of hosts, how blessed is the man who trusts in You!" Psalm 84:12


Observation:

Trusting in God does not mean believing in God to give me everything I want. I think that many times I struggle with trusting Him because I fear He may not give to me the thing I seek.


As I reflect on this passage, see three challenges I can offer to God and trust that He will prove them true.


Application:

First, I can trust that it is better to dwell with God. The desires of my heart paint a picture of me dwelling at some place of peace. That is the intent of my desires for prosperity. I do not have a desire for indulgence as much as I have a desire for a peaceful existence in which I have no need to worry about resources. God's claim to me is that one day fully dwelling in His presence is better than a thousand days with earthly prosperity.


Second, I can trust that He will ignite my heart and flesh with song. The desires of my heart also paint a picture of my heart and flesh being full of life, joy, and celebration. Regardless of what I seek; that is the result I hope to find. I want to be alive with joy and celebrate the richness of life. God's claim is that He can supply that to me in greater measure than anything earthly I can find.


Finally, I can trust that He will lead me in strength. The final picture painted in my heart by my desires is one of strength. I want to land at a place where I feel safe, strong, and secure. I want to be confident, assured, and fulfilled. God's promise to me today is that He can be in me strength for today, strength for tomorrow, and strength for eternity.


Prayer:

As I read this Psalm this morning I must admit that I read it more as a man staring at something I desire to be true more than I read it as a man celebrating something I know to be true.


I accept what I feel today is Your invitation to challenge You to prove the truth of Your Word in my life today. I ask that You move me into a connection with You that provides a place of peaceful rest, a joyful celebration of a life full of Your glory, and a confident place of strength from which to serve.


My life is not mine and You owe me nothing. I thank You for visiting with me this morning and comforting the longings that I have. You are my God and I am Your adopted son. Protect me today from the pressures I feel to be worthy of Your adoption and lead me instead to rest in the completeness of my being Your son.

No comments: