Friday, September 18, 2009

Deliverance in Waiting

Today's Reading: Ezekiel 45:9-10 & Luke 1


Scripture"

After these days Elizabeth his wife became pregnant, and she kept herself in seclusion for five months..." Luke 24:1


Observation:

Elizabeth would have carried many emotional wounds over her lack of having children. In her times, Childlessness carried a reproach in a culture where blessings were tied to birth rights and family line. Bareness was often associated with Divine disfavor and was accompanied by speculation and ridicule from others.


Upon the announcement of her pregnancy at such an older age all the rumors, false judgments, and mockery would stop. She would be able to do something she was never able to do before; stand before the people without there being any doubt regarding God's pleasure with her and her husband.


But in the moments following her encounter with an angel, Elizabeth did not gloat. She did not run out into the streets to avenge her hurt or to shame her mockers. Instead, she hid herself for five months. The vindication she had sought her whole life arrived and yet she maintained her humility and chose to just draw near to God.


Application:

The desire to be used by God and the desire to be honored by man can not cohabit with each other. The pursuit of one always neglects the other. There are many lessons I can learn from Elizabeth, but the primary one I see this morning is her humble devotion to God. She did not care to have man's approval once she felt assured that she was being used by God.


Prayer:

I am not quite sure how to pray to You today. I sense that You want me to draw a lesson this morning from Elizabeth's reaction to both her struggle and her deliverance but I can't quite get a clear picture of what that is. I submit to what You are trying to do in my life and commit to keeping this passage on my mind until You have completed its work in me.

No comments: