Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Amazed by God

Today's Reading: Luke 5


Scripture:

"For amazement had seized him and all of his companions because of the catch of fish which they had taken." Luke 5:9


Observation:

Peter, James and John experienced the unexplainable. Christ did something for them that was far beyond what they could rationalize and they stood before Jesus in total amazement.


I wonder; when was the last time I was amazed by God? When was the last time I experienced something so great, so fresh, and so unexplainable that it literally shoved me down a pathway to further surrender my life to serving God?


Application:

As I read this passage from Luke, I see three things that will improve my chances of maintaining my amazement with God. First, I have to be in fear of the glory of God. If I am not in awe of God and showing Him respect then I will never do the things required to experience Him. Above everything in my life I pursue, I must pursue a deeper experience of God.


Second, I have to be alone with God. If Jesus had to often withdraw from everyone and everything to be alone with God; how much more should I expect to need to follow His example? I can’t expect to find all I need of God if I am not alone with Him regularly.


Finally, I have to be with the lonely, the broken, and the outcast. I can not stay in my zone of comfort and experience the greatness of God. I have to allow God to lead me into places that are beyond my normal and more than I can handle.


Prayer:

I spend to many days settling for explainable faith. I ask this morning that You show me Your glory. Store up in my heart the awe, wonder, and fear I need to stay in pursuit of Your will.


I ask that You teach me how to withdraw to be alone with You. It is really hard to find a place of isolation and it is even harder to know what to do once I get there.


I ask that Your Spirit guide me in positioning myself among the people You desire to impact with my life. Place people in my life who need a miracle and enable me to share in that with them.


Father I do not want to live my life wondering about my faith. I want my faith to be alive, active and on display. I want to go to bed each day smiling at the greatness of Your glory I say displayed.

No comments: