Friday, September 25, 2009

Listening to the Word Spoken

Today's Reading: Luke 8


Scripture:

"So take care how you listen; for whoever has, to him more will be given; and whoever does not have, even what he thinks he has shall be taken away." Luke 8:18


Observation:

The Word is being spoken. God is actively act work around me and is sowing seed into my life. Those who are listening, applying and changing will experience God in increasing measure.


Application:

In verse 15, I see three things I must do to take care of how I listen. The first is I must take care of my heart. The Word says I should have a honest and good heart. My heart must be capable of hearing and applying the word God sends.


The second is I must hold fast to the words I hear from God. I can count on three things anytime God starts a work in my life: 1) Satan will attack, 2) My resolve will be tested, and 3) The world will try to choke it out.


Finally, I must persevere in bearing fruit. Fruit is never for the tree that bears it. The fruit is for feeding others and planting new trees. The word God gives me is ultimately designed to multiply in the lives of others.


Prayer:

Father I ask this morning for a pure heart. Teach me to sit at Your feet with honesty and goodness. Many days go by and I am tempted to feel like You are not speaking to me. I confess to You this morning that I believe Your word when it says You are actively at work sowing seed in my life. You speaking is not the problem. The dirtiness of my heart is.


It always feels like all hell breaks loose in my life when You are trying to teach me something and so I pray that You strengthen me to hold fast to the words You speak to me.


There are many days that I need to be constantly reminded that Your ultimate intent in my life is that I bear fruit for others to be fed. I pray that Your word spoken to me be multiplied in the lives of others.

No comments: